Parent Teacher Conferences are coming up next week! This is a wonderful opportunity for you to meet with your child’s teachers to discuss his/her progress. To accommodate your schedule, teachers are available for ten-minute conferences on Thursday, October 6, 2016 from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm and on Friday, October 7, 2016 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. If needed, you can also schedule conferences with your child’s counselor, dean or case manager this year.
The staff at Grayslake Central share your goals of ensuring all students learn the skills and knowledge they need to achieve their dreams. When parents and teachers have the opportunity to connect and communicate, important information about student strengths and needs can be shared. This ensures the support provided to each student is coordinated between home and school.
The Harvard Family Research Project (www.hfrp.org) recommends that parents talk to their student’s teachers about:
- Progress. Find out how your child is doing by asking questions like: Is my child performing at grade level? What do you see as his or her strengths? How could he or she improve?
- Assignments and assessments. Ask to see examples of your child’s work. Ask how the teacher gives grades and if your student is completing work on time.
- Your thoughts about your child. Be sure to share your thoughts and feelings about your child. Share with the teacher your student’s strengths and explain what he or she needs more help with to be successful.
- Support learning at home. Ask what you can do at home to help your child learn. Ask if the teacher knows of other programs or services in the community that could also help your child.
- Support learning at school. Find out what services are available at the school to help your child. Ask how the teacher will both challenge your child and support your child when he or she needs it.
We hope you will be able to join us next week to have conversations about how together we can help our students grow! Please partner with us and register for meetings using our Pick-a-Time system. You can access the link at http://www.d127.org/central. If you need help making an appointment, please view our instructional video (https://youtu.be/Yq4dRxafB2I) or use the directions posted on our website. If you are not able to schedule an appointment online or you wish to speak with a teacher earlier than the conference dates listed above, please contact the school at 847-986-3300. The Pick-a-Time system will no longer schedule appointments after Midnight on Wednesday, October 5, 2016. After that time, the appointments are walk-in only based on remaining teacher availability.
We look forward to seeing you next week! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions!
Associate Principal for Curriculum and Instruction