Summer School Frequently Asked Questions
1. We are going on vacation and will miss several days of the semester. Can we still sign up?
Each day of summer school is the equivalent of one week of class during the school year. As such, attendance is crucial. Typically, it is not advisable to take a summer school class during a time when the student cannot attend. However, if only missing one or two days, it may be that work can be done online during a student’s absence. Talk with the teacher of the course to see if this is possible.
2. My student’s middle school does not get out of school until after District 127 summer school starts. Can we still sign up?
Though we try hard to avoid it, there may be an overlap between the end of middle school and the start of summer school for first semester classes. Students in this predicament will need to complete work during the days they miss. Teachers will be asked to post work on schoology or to send through email what work must be completed. Contact the summer school principal, Mrs. Barbara Georges at email@example.com to get the name and contact information of the classroom teacher.
3. My student has athletic camps during the time of summer school. Can we still sign up?
Talk with the athletic director and/or coach to find out what the overlap will be and if there is flexibility.
4. We qualify for Free and Reduced lunch benefits during the school year; does it apply to summer school?
No, but we can work out payment plans if need be. Because summer school is an optional program not required by the state, the school is not reimbursed any monies for Free and Reduced services for said program. Contact the Assistant to the Director of Curriculum, Jennifer Campbell, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about your particular situation. If you have questions about free and reduced status, you may contact Laura Arroyo in the business office at email@example.com.
5. Are there additional fees, other than the tuition costs?
Any courses that may have additional fees are listed in the back of the Registration Guide. The courses that do have additional fees are those with field trips included in the curriculum. In addition, English classes will ask student to buy or borrow novels as needed for the course.
6. How much is bussing?
Bussing is $25.00 per semester and you can sign up for that at the time of registration. Bus stops have been pre-determined by the bus company. You can select from the available bus stops.
7. Are summer school bus stops the same as my student will use in the fall?
Probably not. There are fewer buses, bus routes, and bus stops available for summer school. The summer school bus stops are listed on the registration form. No requests for bus stop changes or additions can be accomodated.
8. Do D127 summer school grades go on the transcript?
Yes, summer school classes are graded like all others and will be placed on a student’s transcript. Grades will be published at the close of each summer school semester. Please note what kind of credit the student receives by completing the course. This is listed in the course directory on the summer school webpage.
9. Will my student have access to technology during summer school?
Students that don’t already have a Chromebook through the 1:1 program will be issued their D127 Chromebook at the start of summer school.
10. Can my student take more than one class at a time during the summer?
A student can take only one class per semester.
11. What are the rules and regulations of summer school?
All school rules apply during summer school. You can read more in the registration guide on the summer school webpage. This year, Barbara Georges is the summer school principal. You can ask her questions regarding summer school expectations at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Curriculum & Instruction
- Course Registration Guide
- Cum Laude Information
- Curriculum Maps
- 2015 Class Rank Announcement
- Placement considerations and processes for incoming freshmen
- Summer School 2019
Connect with D127
Grayslake District 127
400 N Lake Street
Grayslake, IL 60030