Grayslake Community High School District 127 Inclement Weather Guide
Student safety is the top priority of Grayslake Community High School District 12. District administration monitors the threat of inclement weather closely and considers numerous factors when determining whether or not to close schools or adjust school start times. Please note that the considerations below are only guidelines and that many factors influence decisions regarding school closures due to poor weather conditions.
Our goal is to provide cancellation information to our families as soon as possible in the event of a weather emergency. If schools are closed for the day, Grayslake Community High School District 127 will make every effort to release this information via the outlets named by 5:30 a.m. If schools are closed, all after school activities, including athletics and evening events, will likely also be cancelled.
Considerations for school cancellation and/or schedule adjustment:
- A heavy accumulation of snow occurs, and/or icy conditions exist, especially during travel times to and from school
- High winds or blowing snow making travel difficult
- Buses unable to run, and/or streets are not clear enough for bus travel
- Hazardous driving conditions
- Power or phone outages
Extreme cold guidelines: District administration uses the National Weather Service designations for wind chill as a guide for school cancellation:
- Wind Chill Warning: Schools will likely be closed under the condition of a wind-chill warning. NWS issues a wind chill warning when dangerously cold wind chill values are expected or occurring, typically widespread wind chill values around -30° or colder. If you are in an area with a wind chill warning, avoid going outside during the coldest parts of the day. If you do go outside, dress in layers, cover exposed skin, and make sure at least one other person knows your whereabouts. Update them when you arrive safely at your destination.
- Wind Chill Watch: Be Prepared. Schools may be closed under the condition of a wind-chill watch. NWS issues a wind chill watch when dangerously cold wind chill values are possible, with wind chill values between -20 and -29°. As with a warning, adjust your plans to avoid being outside during the coldest parts of the day. Make sure your car has at least a half a tank of gas, and update your winter survival kit.
- Wind Chill Advisory: Be Aware: Schools will likely be in session under the condition of a wind-chill advisory. NWS issues a wind chill advisory when seasonably cold wind chill values but not extremely cold values are expected or occurring, typically with widespread wind chill values around -20°. Be sure you and your loved ones dress appropriately and cover exposed skin when venturing outdoors.
Parents and guardians reserve the right to keep their children home from school for safety reasons. Absences from school due to inclement weather will be recorded as an excused absence on the student’s record as long as it is reported per school procedures.
In the event that schools are closed or arrival/dismissal times are changed due to inclement weather, please check the following sources for information:
- District website: www.d127.org or district social media sites
- The public website: www.emergencyclosingcenter.com
- WGN Radio 720-AM; WBBM Radio 780-AM; or watch CBS 2; NBC 5; ABC 7; FOX 32; WBH-TV 9; or CLTV cable for closing updates
- Residency Information
- Curriculum Registration Guide
- PowerSchool - Online Grades (opens in new window)
- Schoology Learning Management System
- MySchoolBucks Cafeteria Point of Sale (opens in new window)
- GCHS Webstore (opens in new window)
- GNHS Webstore (opens in new window)
- Inclement Weather Guide
- Illinois School Report Card (opens in new window)
Connect with D127
Grayslake District 127
400 N Lake Street
Grayslake, IL 60030
We’re sorry, no events were found for this calendar.