GNHS Learning Resource Center (LRC) Guide
Library News 5/18/20: Monday, May 18 is the last day to enter the last library challenge of the school year - Shell-abrate Estimation Jar! Check out the photos of the estimating jar next to a yardstick and take your best guess - @librarygnhs on Twitter/Insta, on the North's Library Makers page, or in Schoology's #MakerKnights (ask to join if not a member).
Congratulations, Veronica! We loved your Star Wars family picture on Twitter so we wanted to make you the Library Maythe4th Challenge winner!
Check out what the public libraries are up to for summer reading and see Ms. K and your other favorite librarians on Youtube: https://youtu.be/vX-Pusu-RN0.
Please bring any school library materials with you next week during your scheduled locker pick up/drop off day, Wed. May 27- Fri. May 29. Look for the library drop box!
Library News 5/12/20:
It's the last library challenge of this year - It's Shell-abrate Estimation Jar. Look closely at the pictures on the Library flyer on Twitter, Instagram, at the One Stop Knight Shop LRC page, on the library Makers & Creative page, and on Schoology's #MakerKnights group. Then take your best estimate and post on @libraryGNHS (Twitter or Insta). Please post by Mon. May 18th!
Summer reading is still underway at many public libraries starting June 1st, with registration going online. Ms. Karabush interviewed the teen librarians from Grayslake, Lake Villa, and Round Lake Public Libraries and will be posting that video on the library website: http://d127.libguides.com/libraryGNHS.
Library News 5/5/20:
* May the 4th be with you this week during the newest library challenge, a Star Wars Fandom contest. #maythe4thchallenge is easy- use your creativity to design a costume out of materials at hand (bedsheets, blankets, belts), make your own light saber, build Star Wars machines, do a soundtrack mix, create a stop motion video, write a poem, you name it – the skies the limit! Post on Twitter or Instagram and make sure to tag @libraryGNHS by Sunday, May 10th.
* Virtual Field Trip Tuesday focuses on Outer Space this week. Take an out of this world adventure!
* Students, are you ready for Summer Reading? Do you know how to get an eBook for those rainy summer days? On Friday, 5/8 at 1 PM there will be a live panel of librarians from your school and public libraries, talking about their Summer Reading programs.
Check the library's web page for a link to submit questions, and the final link to the Zoom session on Friday.
Library News 4/27/20:
This is the last week of School Library month so take the Rube Goldberg UR Space challenge and design a paper towel roll-ercoaster, create a mini-car speedway of toilet paper rolls, or invent a cardboard workout station. Post a picture of your build process and post it on Twitter or Instagram, #rubegoldbergcompetition @libraryGNHS. Deadline is Thursday, 4/30 at noon.
Virtual Field Trip Tuesdays flyers are posted each week on One Stop Knight Shop to take you on virtual tours. This week showcases Music & Venues!
Hope you had a fun weekend!
Library News 4/17/20:
If you haven’t had a chance, vote for the Book of the Decade - the 2nd brackets are up, so enter your pick in the 2nd round. While you’re at it, vote for your favorite book for Knights’ Choice 2019.
Need something to do once homework’s done? Join one of the library’s Schoology groups: #MakerKnights, Book Battle Readers, B4 School Board, #GNHS1book, or #d127reads2gether!
Teachers and students have access to all our databases & passwords via the library's Destiny Catalog, in three easy steps (screenshots below).
- Use your Google login
- Search for "passwords GNHS" and open the page
- Click "more" for the password then click the link to open the resource
And another reminder: our powerful ProQuest NewsStand gives you access to most national newspapers.
Cynthia Karabush, MLIS
Library Media Specialist
Grayslake North High School